Public Works camp, Bruce Bay
This 1939 photo from the Auckland Weekly News is a splendid illustration of the transition of Mahitahi/Bruce Bay, from a Maori kainga in the 1860s to a tiny Post Office for the local settler farmers up the valley in the 1900s, to a roadmen's camp in the 1930s.
The Bruce Bay Hall was built here about the same time, originally as a Public Works hall, followed by the sawmill across the river. When the sawmill closed and the Public Works pulled out, having completed the road link from Fox Glacier to Bruce Bay, very little remained of 1940s Bruce Bay - the hall, the former Public Works house (Cadigans), a store and a couple of other houses. Most others lived at Jacobs River and Hunts Beach.